Wednesday 19 June 2013

My Childhood Favourites

And now for a Quick List of my favourite reads.

These are the books that changed my life, spoke to some deep need inside of me, made me laugh or cry or both. 

These books haunted me, inspired me and they have stood the test of time. 

Some of them I read as a child over and over again; some came to me later in life. But all of them have been well loved by me.



I Taught Myself to Read with:

Dr Seuss - One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Inside, Outside, Upside Down
Ten Apples Up on Top

As a Young Person I loved:

Rose Red and Snow White by Tenggren
Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink
Famous Five, The Secret Island & Adventurous Four series by Enid Blyton
I Am David by Ann Holm
Silver Sword by Ian Serralier
Little Women series by Louisa May Alcott
Trixie Belden series Julie Campbell & Kathryn Kenny
The Railway Children by Nesbitt
Seven Little Australians by Ethel Turner
Flambards series by K.M. Peyton
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
Tintin by Herge
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Diary of Anne Frank
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
What Katy Did series by Susan Coolidge
Climb A Lonely Hill by Lilith Norman
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews
Sara Dane and Fiona by Catherine Gaskin
Agatha Christie

These books came to me later in life...

Koala Lou & Hattie and the Fox by Mem Fox
The Deep by Tim Winton
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Looking For Alabrandi by Marlena Marchetta
Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Paterson
Harry Potter by JK Rowling (of course)
Wonder by R.J. Palacio

What are some of your favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.