Monday 12 December 2011

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi

What a wonderful treat of a book.

Fantasy books usually sit low down on my pile of books to read -especially fantasy books with strange creatures and a language guide in the back!

I think my imagination is not active enough for fantasy books as I have trouble creating a world full of bizarre characters and landscapes out of mere words.
But in this case DiTerlizzi helped me along with loads of detailed illustrations and an interactive website. His cause (in gaining my interest) is furthered by the dystopian element to his story about Eva Nine - a lone female child brought up in an isolated sanctuary by a caring robot called 'Muthr'.

The sanctuary is disturbed and eventually destroyed by one of the many weird creatures in this story. Eva and Muthr gone on the run to find another sanctuary, making friends & enemies along the way. As the journey progresses we realise that they're not on some strange planet, but on Earth, in the far distant future.

I couldn't put this book down. I raced through it with delight and anticipation. The ending was a wonderful thrill...but now the long wait for book two!

DiTerlizzi also has an interesting blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.