Wednesday 29 February 2012

Leap Year Day Challenge 2012 Dragonkeeper by Carole Wilkinson

Can we make this go viral?

Leap Year babies will tell you how special it is to be born on the 29th Feb.

To celebrate a once in 4 year event - go to page 29 of the book you're reading right now and copy the first sentence onto your blog or into my comments section. Spread the word.

I'm currently reading Dragonkeeper by Carole Wilkinson. The book was first published in Australia in 2003 and has won numerous awards including The Children's Book Council Book of the Year for Younger Readers, Aurealis Award Winner, Winner 2004 Queensland Premier's Literary Awards and shortlisted for the NSW Premier's Literary Awards.

The 5th book in the series is due for release in May through Walker Books. It will receive a lot of press and hype and I felt it was time to see what all the fuss was about.

As you know, I tend to avoid fantasy books, especially those with dragons and other mythical creatures. Yet I end up loving them when I do finally make myself read them!

This is another example of denying myself a truly wonderful story for too many years simply beacuse I didn't like the look of the fantasy cover!

I was hooked from the first chapter.
It is well written, beautifully imagined and engrossing.

Dragonkeeper is basically a road trip between a young girl, Ping who has been enslaved as a child to an Imperial Dragonkeeper and the dragon Long Danzi. They escape from their joint bondage with a mysterious purple stone and a desire to reach the Ocean.

A wonderful story for 10+ readers

Page 29 quote: "A rasping voice disturbed the peace of the courtyard."

3 comments:

  1. "I don't want to if it bores you. I mean you needn't do it as a favour." Pg 29 of The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this when I was younger and I absolutely loved it. I was what... 10? 11? gah... I feel old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one! Nice idea, but too bad I missed doing it for leap day! Anyways, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    Rumana @ Relook the Book

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.