Wednesday 23 May 2012

D is for Dragonflies

If I had chosen D is for Dragons as my Alphabet Meme, I would have had so many books with dragons as protagonist to choose from...but instead I chose dragonflies...why?

Dragonflies have become my (our) personal totem.

Our first holiday together in modern times, was to Broome.

It was a wonderfully romantic, relaxing holiday that helped us both realise that we were doing the right thing by getting back together after a 14 year break.

In the evenings the pool outside our room was invaded by an incredibly colourful swarm of dragonflies.

On our first night we were surprised by the fluttering touches of so many dragonflies, but on subsequent nights we looked forward to sharing our pool with these beautiful skimming creatures.


When I looked into the symbolic significance of dragonflies I found that...

The dragonfly inhabits two realms: air and water. Dragonfly people will be emotional and passionate during their early years (the influence of water) and more balanced with greater mental clarity and control in as they mature (the influence of air).

The Dragonfly lives a short life, and it knows it must live to the fullest with what it has.

Maturity and a Depth of character: The dragonfly, in almost every part of the world symbolizes change and change in the perspective of self realization; the kind of change that has its source in mental and emotional maturity and the understanding of the deeper meaning of life.

All these meanings and symbols seemed to match our situation perfectly.

We used dragonflies as the unifying design in our wedding 5 years later and to this day they continue to enchant us and draw us to see things anew.

Some of my favourite books came to me because of dragonflies...I think you will see why!

If you have a personal animal totem or a special thing for dragonflies I'd love to hear your story. Leave a comment or a link to your post below.

Happy reading --------}>>

3 comments:

  1. I was at a baseball game in NYC this weekend and discovered that there are a good number of (BIG) dragonflys in regular attendance at Mets games. Dragonflys always remind me of one of my good friends who loves them and even named her NH farm Dragonfly Farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that blogger had a 'like' button :-)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous25/6/12

    Dragonflies are my insect totem too! I've liked them for a long time and look forward to seeing them every summer. They (Odonata) inspired a book (series actually) for me as well. :)
    So glad I discovered your blog. I'll be checking out your books soon.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.