Sunday, 27 May 2012

The Silver Door by Emily Rodda

I reviewed book 1 in The Door Trilogy last year - The Golden Door. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was looking forward to book 2.

Sadly book 2 is basically the same plot as book 1 - just through another door into another part of Dorne to find the other brother.

This area of Dorne is desolate and barren. The whole time I was reading it I had images from the Mad Max movies in my mind.

When we were introduced to Bones at the edge of the Saltings I immediately thought of Bruce Spence's Mad Max character.

The Silver Door, for me was a skimmer (pun intended!) 

I raced through the descriptions to get to the action so I could find out what happened to Rye and his brothers.

I remembered Pennac's 'Rights of the Reader' in time not to feel bad about this. (He says on pg 155, "Even when we're grown-up, and though we may be reluctant to admit it, we still skip from time to time, for reasons that are strictly between us and the book.")
I revised his Right to Skip to the Right to Skim and raced happily to the end.

I will probably read book 3 - The Third Door - where Rye will no doubt finally realise that he is the hero of this story.

These books are great for the youngest son in a family or for anyone who is overshadowed, over-looked and underestimated!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your blog! Your posts are so unique and you are truly yourself!

    New follower!

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea - it's nice to be appreciated :-)
      I'm now following you with linky friends. Needless to say that you're blog is very charming!

      Delete

I love hearing from you but I understand that blogger can be a frustrating experience for many.
Make sure you're logged into your blogger account or google+ account before writing your comment, otherwise blogger will eat it. I have occasionally found lost comments by hitting the back arrow button.
If all else fails, you can contact me on my fb page or twitter.
Thanks for stopping by.