Sunday 22 July 2012

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

I approached Crewel with some trepidation and an "oh no, not another dystopian YA novel" attitude.

So I have to say up front that I loved this book from the first page.

I loved the whole weaving of time concept. It captured my imagination and drew me in. It felt original, new and exciting.

It was a little confusing trying to work out how the whole weaving of time thing worked though.
There was enough information to give you a 'feel' for it rather than a proper grasp on the concept.
I was okay with that.
I don't need to have everything spelled out for me and I could see this was going to be a series, so Albin has to leave some stuff for the other books!

There was a section in the final third of the book that slowed things down as the romance was being developed. There was also a very obvious ah-ha moment that we were all waiting for Adelice to work out for herself.

Despite these flaws, I found Crewel to be a rivetting read. I've been telling everyone about it and I can't wait for book 2 to come out.

Allen and Unwin have got themselves a winner with this one.

It's due for Australian publication in October. Keep an eye out for it...whichever cover they decide to go with - it's eye-catching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.