Monday 19 November 2012

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

I'm not sure what I can say about this classic story of love and selfishness, generosity and greed, neediness and co-dependency that hasn't already been said a thousand times.

I guess all I can do is share my own responses to this book.

The Giving Tree was first published in 1964.

Right from the start it created controversy and a love/hate relationship amongst it's readers.

The first time I read this book I almost sobbed out loud. I was an adult; a preschool teacher wondering if this was a book I could read aloud with my classes.

The page that still gets me, even now after multiple rereadings, is when the boy takes away the tree's trunk
"And the tree was happy...but not really."

The end always surprises me after that.

I always expect some growth or change in the characters.

Instead the book ends as it starts...with a tree that loves a little boy (and who would do anything for him).......

and a boy who loves the tree very much (with the expectation that the tree will always be there for him no matter what).

I was curious to see the many reviews referring to the environmental message of the book. In 18 years of teaching, not one child ever talked about the environment. It was always about the relationships.

Curiously many of the five year olds I taught felt sympathy for the tree. (I say curiously because so many of the reviews talk about the fear they have that children see themselves as the boy).

My classes were usually horrified that the boy had taken everything from her. 
One insightful comment mentioned that the old man was still the boy - he looked like an old man but he was still just a boy. 
Many of my classes told me that the boy was mean. 

But invariably, the children who asked to be read the book over and over again were the children with mother issues.

Mothers who were distant, difficult, dead, deserted or drugged. It was like they were seeking comfort in the all-giving, all-nurturing, unconditional love of the tree even as they knew that that kind of relationship was impossible, unrealistic and unhealthy.

For me this book is a classic.

It's timeless; it speaks to people across all ages, gender and backgrounds; it creates strong feelings; it deals with big issues - personal issues that cause people to stop and reflect on their own lives, opinions and beliefs and it is beautifully written.

I've linked this post to ...off on my tangent's...Alphabe-Thursday meme.



13 comments:

  1. Anonymous22/11/12

    I have never really read a children's book as an adult. I am so impressed with this review and the insightful comments of children. This is a must read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the illustrations. I actually havent read any of Silverstein's work, which I probably shoud do something about :) Lovely review!

    Btw, you seemed interested in my past Friday 56 feature. I have a giveaway of The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap on my blog right now: http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2012/11/guest-post-giveaway-paulette-mahurin.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter how many times I read this book, it chokes me up every time. Actually, your review choked me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ryan :-)

      Delete
    2. I have always had a love/hate relationship with this book.
      The message of love in it must be tempered with the message that taking love but never giving love will eventually leave both parties empty. I read it to my son when he was small, maybe 3 or 4 and his reaction was that the boy was mean and he was very upset for the tree. He told me he never wanted to read that book again and he hasn't. He's 30 now, and still thinks it's an awful book. Right up there with Robert Munch's "Love you forever".
      Great G post, with intresting followup by fellow ABCers!

      Delete
  4. I love this book. I with the boy understood giving a little bit earlier in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this book ~ Everyone should read it ~ Great post for 'G' .

    (A Creative Harbor aka ArtMusedog and Carol ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know a little boy who really needs this book and I'm going to make sure he gets a copy...

    Thanks for the recommendation...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always felt conflicted by this book and didn't read it to my children. I love your students' insights very much. (And that boy absolutely was mean!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading this book, and thinking that the boy was very self-centered. To me, it did seem to be relationship oriented rather than being geared to environmental issues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't thought of this book for years - thanks for the reminder.
    I'm so glad to have found you on Alphabe-Thursday. I'll be following.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my absolutely, total, complete all time favorite books!

    I give this one a lot as a gift!

    It's just an absolutely grand book!

    It's really interesting to see philosophy change over the years with people who read this book. I read it to my daughter as a child. She still reads it, but says she reads it in a different way now.

    This was a wonderful post!

    Thank you for linking it.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh The Giving Tree is such an amazing book and that's so cool that you're using it for inspiration :D

    regards,
    cleo of Attorneys Anchorage Alaska

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.