Friday 7 December 2012

Book Beginnings on Friday and The Friday 56

Book Beginning:

"Me name be Hannah O'Brien and I be seventy-six years old. Me first thing is an apology - me language is bad cos I lost it and had to learn again. But here's me story and I be glad to tell it before I hop the twig."

Page 56:

"It was a greyish colour, with sharp bits of bone and shells sticking out of it. The tigers sniffed it. The smell made their tails go stiff with joy. They were nibbling at it. I knew I had to wait me turn but I culdn't wait. I grabbed it for meself."

This week for Book Beginnings on Fridays and The Friday 56 I've selected Louis Nowra's first book for the YA audience called 'Into That Forest'.


9 comments:

  1. I like the character's voice....I could get into this one.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Book narrated by a 76 year old and for a YA audience. Sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely sounds very interesting. First I thought she was Irish, don't blame me but they do say 'me' instead of 'my' quite a lot. Although it sounds quite sexy when they do it and these tigers don't sound too good! Thanks for sharing, hop on over to My Friday Post if you have the time!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not so crazy about the choice of lingo, but it still sounds like an intriguing snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had the same problem the first time I looked at this book (a few months ago), but I've read several rave reviews on blogs and in newspapers since that have given me cause to reassess.
      here's one of the reviews

      Delete
  5. it would be hard for me to read a book written in her "voice"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading something similar and it really grates on the nerves, which I think adds to the whole experience.

    I that meat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Between the opening and the teaser, I have absolutely no idea what this book is about. I am going to go investigate.

    Thanks for including your post on Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, another one on the TBR. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.