Wednesday 10 December 2014

A Christmas Carol Readalong

I've succumbed.

I wasn't going to commit to anything else between now and Christmas. But I really wanted to reread Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol this year....so I've decided to host the most low-key, easy, no-fuss readalong ever.

The hardest part has been making the badge...and I've just realised I forgot to add my blog addresss to it - do'h!

If you'd like to join me in reading or rereading A Christmas Carol simply say 'hi' in the comments below & spread the word.

Copy my badge, post on twitter or Instagram using #achristmascarol, share on facebook, goodreads or your own blogs. As much or as little as you like.

During the readalong stop by and let us know how you're progressing.
Tweet your favourite quotes, show us a picture of your particular edition, tell us how many times you've read A Christmas Carol over the years.
Why do you love it so much?
Which movie version do you prefer?
Have you seen a stage show or pantomine of A Christmas Carol?

Are you a Bah! Humbug! at Christmas or a "God bless us one and all!" type?

Maybe you'd like to tell us about your best (or worst) Christmas past.
What do you plan to do for your Christmas Present?
Tell us your hopes for the Christmas Yet To Come.

Or simply readalong knowing that folks all around the world are experiencing the same wonderful story at the same time as you!

I will be reading my lovely 2007 (second reprint) Folio Society edition.

Although I first read A Christmas Carol sometime in my 20's, I have not read this particular edition yet. The illustrations & colour plates by Foreman look delightful.

I'm looking forward to diving back into Dickensian London and finding the spirit (and/or ghost) of Christmas.

I hope you can join me in this adventure.
#achristmascarol

PS I have left Mr Linky open until New Year's Eve to give everyone plenty of time to write reviews over the festive season.

Merry Christmas one and all!

18 comments:

  1. I am IN not just one, but two productions this year! Both very non-professional and low-key -- also heavily edited! It would be nice to read it properly, so count me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah!
      One bless you; zero bah humbug

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11/12/14

    It's a beautiful badge! I actually don't think I ever read the original. If I did, then it would have been when I was in my early 20s, so it's time for a (re)read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11/12/14

    Thanks for hosting and count me in! It will be my first time reading this classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those stories that every knows of. Reading it the first time can be a little weird, because it seems so familiar!

      Delete
  4. I was thinking it was time I re-read this so I'll be joining in too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely I look forward to reading your thoughts on it :-)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11/12/14

    Great idea! I would love to join this event since I had this title already in my reading list for this month. I hadn't officially yet but love the latest movie's version. I think that it would be lovely to read it as a group while we get into the Christmas spirit. Thanks for hosting this event.

    Alicia @classicbookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured a lot of folks plan to read this title now & I'm glad my readalong is acting as a prompt for so many :-)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12/12/14

    Reading along with you A Christmas Carol.
    Review is early, but I want time to see the film versions to and add comments later!

    http://ipsofactodotme.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/a-christmas-carol/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous14/12/14

    I added 2 film review to " A Christmas Carol" blogpost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a legend Nancy!
      This made me realise that when I finish in the garden, I will need to sit down and add a linky to this post to make it easier for everyone to check out reviews. I will make sure I give yours first position :-)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous15/12/14

      Legends are bloggers like yourself who organize wonderful read- alongs, AusReadingMonth, lists of great Australian writers (A to Z). and promote the love of reading. I am only a humble follower who loves to tell others 'how far a book took me from my own daily life, how it gave me wings!"

      Delete
  8. Anonymous14/12/14

    Count me in please! I JUST checked this one out of the library two days ago! I've never read it before so I am excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timing is everything!
      Lovely to have you along for the (sleigh) ride :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh! I really wish I could join in. I might have if this were running till the end of the month. As things are I'm incredibly busy up until Christmas Eve.

    Hmmm....maybe I could try reading this on the 24th and 25th... It's a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do join in Saari - I've left the linky open until New Year's Eve to give people time to write reviews. I figure it's a busy time of year for most everybody!!

      Delete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.