Tuesday 16 June 2015

Very Good Lives by J K Rowling

Some days you need a little inspiration and a little serendipity to pull you out of a blue funk.

Today's little boost came from J.K. Rowling's Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination.
Today a customer asked me if the book would be suitable for her 11 year old granddaughter...and I had no idea as I haven't had time to look inside it since it arrived in store.

This evening I made time...and I'm so glad I did.

Based on the commencement address that Rowling gave to the graduating class of 2008 at Harvard University, Very Good Lives is her little book of inspiration and wisdom.

And now that I've read it, I can tell you that this little book is indeed perfect for all 11 year old granddaughters...and grandsons...as well as for their grandparents and everyone in between.

Google is overflowing with quotes taken from this speech, so I will only trouble you to look at two of them for now.


Failure, imagination, empathy and friendship are at the core of Rowling's speech. Even though she quotes Seneca and refers to her own Classics degree, the speech is written lightly, with humour and good grace.

This is a heart-warming gift book for graduating classes the world over or for anyone needing a little light at the end of the tunnel.

I never though I would find something to replace Dr Seuss' Oh, The Places You'll Go, but this is it, just without the rhyme!

And just in case you've forgotten all about Oh, the Places You'll Go - here's a little reminder...

Do you have a favourite inspirational book?

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about trying this book and was thinking it might be good as audio book, if one exists. Good to know this book is suitable for all ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very quick and easy - it will only take you 20 mins to read it :-)

      Delete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.