Saturday 5 December 2015

Classics Club Spin #11

It's time once again to embrace all things spin-ish in the world of classic reading.

The Classics Club has announced #ccspin 11.

The lucky spin number will be drawn on Monday 7th December.
Simply read the book spun up for you by the 1st February 2016 and link your review back to the club.

Easy and fun.

I love it every time I see the Spin post pop up.
I love seeing what everyone else is reading and I love preparing a new list.

My previous spins have been mostly successful and/or enjoyable. I've also enjoyed reading along with other Classic Clubbers during most of the spins:

#1 The Magnificent Ambersons with Cat.

#2 Tess of the D'Urbervilles with Lakeside Musings & Several Four Many.

#3 My Cousin Rachel.

#4 The Brothers Karamazov with Bree who also read a Dostoyevsky novel for this spin. I gave up on this chunkster about halfway through, then I lost the bok during our move earlier in the year...serendipity, I say!

#5 The Odyssey with Plethora of Books. This one was a bit of a cheat as I had started it for another readalong, but struggled to finish. I added it to my list to motivate me to finish it. When no. 20 spun up it seemed like the gods had decreed it so!

#6 No Name by Wilkie Collins with Melbourne on My Mind.

#7 Silent Spring by Rachel Carson with Booker Talk - my first classic non-fiction spin.

#8 Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh has been my one and only dud Spin read so far.

#9 The Great World by David Malouf my first Australian classic spin.

#10 A Far Cry From Kensington by Muriel Spark.

I have read 52/125 on my ever evolving and expanding Classics Club list. My list will try to include some of the classic book already included in other challenges like my Women's Literature Classic challenge, #Woolfalong, #XmasinSummer and The Little House on the Prairie readalong.

1. Night and Day by Virginia Woolf
2. Indiana by George Sand
3. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte        with Fortified by Books  & Randy Runt of a Reader
4. O Pioneers by Willa Cather    with Relevant Obscurity 
5. Summer by Edith Wharton     shared author with You, Me and a Cup of Tea
6. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad     with Relevant Obscurity
7. The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens    with Karen @Books and Chocolate
8. The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing           with Care's Online Bookclub
9. Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell     with Jillian @Reading American Leaves
10. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell    with Jessica @The Bookworm Chronicles
11. Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell        with Margaret @Books Please
12. Man and Wife by Wilkie Collins
13. Diary of a Provincial Lady by D M Delafield           with Audrey @Books as Food
14. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith       with Care's Online Bookclub
15. A Game of Hide and Seek by Elizabeth Taylor     with Jane @Beyond Eden Rock
16. Essence of the Thing by Madeleine St John
17. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
18. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck
19. So Big by Edna Ferber     with Christy @A Good Stopping Point
20. The Dream by Emile Zola     shared author with Cleo @Classical Carousel

I wonder what Monday will spin us?

Later:

It's number 19!

So Big by Edna Ferber.

My reading buddy will be Christy from A Good Stopping Point.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and widely considered to be Edna Ferber's greatest achievement, "So Big" is a classic novel of turn-of-the-century Chicago. 
It is the unforgettable story of Selina Peake DeJong, a gambler's daughter, and her struggles to stay afloat and maintain her dignity and her sanity in the face of marriage, widowhood, and single parenthood. A brilliant literary masterwork from one of the twentieth century's most accomplished and admired writers, the remarkable "So Big" still resonates with its unflinching view of poverty, sexism, and the drive for success

Happy Reading

15 comments:

  1. So many great books on your list! Some of my favorites: I Capture the Castle, Diary of a Provincial Lady, The Good Earth. O Pioneers! . . . and Little House on the Prairie would be a great holiday read. Good luck with your pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be delighted to spin any no. except the Dickens. I've read so many chunksters lately, I need some lighter, slimmer relief :-)

      Delete
  2. Once again, I love how you do this, Brona. Reading is great but reading together is twice as good. Now if I get The Dream, I'll be even more enthused to read it. I've had a couple of other bloggers offering to read along with me on other books too, so it's quite exciting.

    Personally I'd pick I Capture The Castle ..... it's so light but enormously engaging and fun. Ruth is my favourite Gaskell; not very uplifting practically but on the other hand, very poignant and uplifting in a deeper way.

    I hope you have a great spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on reading the last 3 Ferrante books over our summer hols, so a lighter book like I Capture the Castle would suit me fine.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love how you do this! Also, your selections this spin look so good. LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE. I'm saying. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm really looking forward to the Little House readalong, regardless of the spin :-)

      Delete
  4. Such a great list! Some books I never heard of and am off to look up. I have to put my list together, just now heard about the new spin. I haven't always followed through with actually reading my spin books, but 2016 will be like turning over a new leaf. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learnt to only put the books on my spin that I really want to read....otherwise I don't !! Life too short for 'shoulds' esp with books. Too many good ones I want to read to waste my time on one I'm not enjoying - which is why I haven't looked very hard for The Brothers K !!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5/12/15

    Good luck with the spin :-) It would be lovely to get Cranford together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read a few of the books on your list - but I wasn't all that keen on numbers 3 & 4. I read Cranford at school and again a few years ago when I enjoyed it more than the first time! I haven't read any of her other books so would be happy to read Mary Barton with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many good books on your list! We share a couple of titles, but with different numbers. Good luck Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great list. I enjoyed Man and Wife, though it's not one of my favourite books by Collins. I also loved I Capture the Castle and The Mystery of Edwin Drood (despite it being unfinished). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6/12/15

    Such a great list, and I love how you try to get as many buddy reads as possible! I'll be hoping for number three so we can read together!

    Ranty Runt of a Reader

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a yummy list! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous13/12/15

    I love the idea of the spin. I will have to give this a go. I have been choosing books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die book. Of course it isn't really within my reach to read them all, especially because I read so many other books that aren't on the list. Continued success with your reading goals!

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.