Wednesday 27 April 2016

WWW Wednesday

WWW Wednesday is now hosted by Sam @Taking on the World of Words.

I haven't joined in this meme for a long time but (thanks to various changes in my family and work life) midweek has now evolved into a good time for me to reflect on my reading plans for the week.


The Three W's are: 

What are you currently reading? 

The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf

I'm half way through this tremendously good classic read for #Woolfalong.

Dubliners by James Joyce

I'm slowly working my way through these misery Irish short stories for my #ccspin read *sigh*

The After-Room by Maile Meloy

Only a few chapters left in this terrific page turner that I started during Dewey's 24hr Readathon.


What did you recently finish reading? 

River of Ink: Genesis by Helen Dennis
Another Night in Mullet Town by Steven Herrick
Australian Classics by Jane Gleeson-White

I finished these three books during the Readathon on the weekend.
Reviews to follow.


What do you think you’ll read next?

Next month brings us the Sydney Writers Festival.
So far I have booked myself into four events and hope to attend a few of the free ons as well.
One of the chats is with Gloria Steinem, therefore I hope to read her latest book before then!


My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem

Gloria Steinem—writer, activist, organizer, and one of the most inspiring leaders in the world—now tells a story she has never told before, a candid account of how her early years led her to live an on-the-road kind of life, traveling, listening to people, learning, and creating change. 
She reveals the story of her own growth in tandem with the growth of an ongoing movement for equality. This is the story at the heart of My Life on the Road.

Although I'm not attending the opening night featuring special guest Kate Tempest, I am curious about her book, her style and her rap poetry. 

The Bricks That Built the Houses by Kate Tempest

It gets into your bones. You don't even realise it, until you're driving through it, watching all the things you've always known and leaving them behind.  
Young Londoners Becky, Harry and Leon are escaping the city in a fourth-hand Ford Cortina with a suitcase full of stolen money. Taking us back in time - and into the heart of London - The Bricks that Built the Houses explores a cross-section of contemporary urban life with a powerful moral microscope, giving us intimate stories of hidden lives, and showing us that good intentions don't always lead to the right decisions.  
Leading us into the homes and hearts of ordinary people, their families and their communities, Kate Tempest exposes moments of beauty, disappointment, ambition and failure. 
Wise but never cynical, driven by empathy and ethics,The Bricks the Built the Houses questions how we live with and love one another.

I've been having a discussion on another blog about commenting and the best ways to be able to comment on all the blog types. In recent times, I've only come across one blog that I simply cannot leave a comment on no matter which account I use.

I have a google, wordpress and discus account so that I comment everywhere I go, but was wondering about OpenID? It looks like it's a way to combine all your account details so that you just use the one password etc. 

Does anyone use this? What do you think? 

4 comments:

  1. I've read some of Steinem's shorter pieces (although its been years) and will probably read My Life on the Road this summer. I look forward to hearing about your experience at the Sydney Writers Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love James Joyce. My senior English teacher in high school selected several of his pieces for us to read. He always leaves things on an ambiguous ending!

    https://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/www-wednesdays-april-27/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I do enjoy Joyce's writing, but I can only read one at a time. Thanks to the joylessness of his characters lives it is hard to want more.
      And yes, a few times his endings have surprised me by their suddenness!

      Delete
  3. Your current reading is a little top heavy for me... I've decided to leave the rest of Woolf for my next life. Joyce is possibly in the same category- although I have only ever read the first story of The Dubliners. I'm going to a few SWF events too! Mainly the kids days, and I want to try and get some prereading done too. I was very intrigued that they put Kate Tempest as the Opening Night,perhaps I'm just ridiculously out of the loop, but I'd never heard of her at all, and they are ignoring some big international names in town for the festival. I do love the cover of her book, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

    As to commenting, it can be very annoying. I won't comment on blogs if I have to log into disqus, I don't even know what that is.... although sometimes I can comment as a guest. I'm not all that sure about open id either.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.